Information and photo Gallery of Vela Luka and Korcula
sunrise over Vela Luka
The island of Korcula is one of the biggest and most populated island of Dalmacija! Vela Luka is located on the western side of the island of Korcula and offers the best scuba diving sites in the South of Dalmacija!
Vela Luka has many archeologically and architectural points of interest.
On the south slope of the hill Pinski rat there is the extraordinary archaeological site of Vela Spila, one of the most important prehistoric cave dwellings in Europe. Vela Spila provides a picture of life on the Mediterranean twenty thousand years ago. The cave's interior measures approximately 1500 sq. meters located several hundred meters above the beautiful Vela Luka Bay.
Another panoramic view of the area can been seen from Hum Hill and the Forteca, an Austro-Hungarian fortress built in 19th century. The building is located near the Parish Church of St. Joseph, so together they create a magnificent architectonic / urbanism structure and offer a typical Mediterranean spirit. The museum / gallery is decorated with mosaics made in 1968 when the International Artist Meeting of painters was held in Vela Luka.
Walls and towers of Korcula town - The whole of the old town is surrounded by 14th century thick stone walls and towers, used at the time as a defence against passing-by enemies. On the North end of the Old Town is a tower called Barbarigo, built in 1488 as well as the Tiepolo tower, built at the end of 15th century. At the South side of the Korcula Old Town is tower Balbi built in 1483. Great for a day trip or 1/2 day trip organised daily from vela Luka!
SERVICES IN VELA LUKA
- Rent: Boat, Car, Bike or scooter
- Rent: Canoe, DVD and video, Boat-trips to nearby Islands, sometimes with the opportunity to book a fish BBQ. Museum and Cave (Vela Spila) visits.
- Banks: Bank of Zagreb, Splitska Banka, and Dubrovnik Banka
- Medical facilities: Hospital, General practitioner, MFA and health resort
- Going out: Disco-Night club, Bars, Taverns and a variety of Restaurants
- Events: Every Thursday, a traditional Fisherman BBQ at the fishing harbor and in the Taverns
- Shopping / food etc: Large Supermarket 'Kerum' and diverse smaller supermarkets spread around the bay with daily fresh supplies, Butchers, Fresh Bakery, little street markets with fresh vegetables, fruit, fish, olive oil, wines, shoes and clothes.
- Other shopping: Hardware, Italian boutique, flowers and plants and many Gift shops.